.

Police: Los Gatos Man Killed by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Roll-up door to mechanical room where home's heater was located apparently failed to allow deadly gas to properly escape.

The logo for the Truckee Police Department. Courtesy Truckee police
The logo for the Truckee Police Department. Courtesy Truckee police
Los Gatos resident Gary F. Trovinger's Oct. 26 death in his Tahoe Donner subdivision home in the town of Truckee was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, police officials said.  

Trovinger, 57, and friend Albert Senzatimore, 69, of San Jose, were found dead by Truckee police officers dispatched to the home to do a welfare check.

The deadly gas was so strong when officers entered the single-family residence that they started to suffer respiratory issues and left the premises, Truckee police said.

Truckee Fire District personnel were then dispatched to the property and determined that the house had very high levels of carbon monoxide inside it.

The house was vented to make it safe to enter and complete an investigation into the cause of the deaths, Truckee police added.

Truckee police detectives and a fire investigator later confirmed that the source of the carbon monoxide was from the house's heater, police indicated.

The investigation revealed that Trovinger, who owned the home, had contracted to have a roll-up door installed in the mechanical room space where the home's heater was located.

When the heater was turned on by the residents after the work was performed, the house filled with carbon monoxide ultimately killing them.

Truckee police, working with the Town of Truckee Building Department, determined the contractor was working without a building permit or engineered and approved plans, they said.

Officials are continuing the investigation into the deaths and expect to send the case to Nevada County District Attorney’s Office for review when the investigation is complete.

ALSO ON LOS GATOS PATCH:


Sign up for the free Los Gatos Patch newsletter | Like Los Gatos Patch on Facebook | Follow @GatosPatch on Twitter | Blog on Los Gatos Patch | Follow Los Gatos Patch on Instagram  




Bea Karnes (Editor) December 01, 2013 at 11:18 AM
How awful! A good reminder that it's worth the money to pay for a building permit so that your home is safe.
Marilyn Leonard December 01, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Wow! How sad! Taking shortcuts like that had deadly results.
Jeremy Barousse December 01, 2013 at 11:07 PM
So sad to hear, god bless the family of the victim.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something