.

Residents Warned Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

As heater use rises, the dangers also increase.

As temperatures around the Bay Area start to cool and heaters are turned on, residents are being reminded to have working carbon monoxide alarms at home to prevent accidental gas poisonings.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced from heaters, fireplaces furnaces and many types of appliances and cooking devices.

Each year, 480 people in the country are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and as many as 20,000 are hospitalized, according county fire officials. 

The best way for homeowners to stay protected from carbon monoxide is to have a CO2 alarm installed on every floor and outside each sleeping area, officials said.

As of July 1, 2011, California law requires owners of single-family homes with attached garages or fossil fuel sources for heating to install carbon monoxide alarms in the home.

More information on carbon monoxide can be found online by clicking here.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Jeanne Rajabzadeh November 29, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Thanks for this important reminder Shelia. If homeowners do not have one now, the simple plug in type is available at Target, Costco, or Home Depot.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something