The Town of Los Gatos is undertaking its seventh annual presentation of the public education program called Los Gatos Prepared, to encourage every resident and business in town to have the skills and resources necessary to be self-sufficient in the event of a natural or other disaster.
October is Emergency Preparedness Month in the Town of Los Gatos.
Informational displays will be presented at the Los Gatos Farmers' Market on today, Sunday, Oct. 7 and Oct. 14 and at the Los Gatos Prepared/Red Cross blood drive on Oct. 11 at the Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center.
Also on Oct. 14, to commemorate the Oct. 17 23rd anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake, five neighborhood shopping centers will host displays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
All of these sites will be staffed by Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) volunteers trained in emergency preparedness.
On display will be items and supplies that residents should have on hand to be prepared for a disaster such as an earthquake or an outbreak of pandemic influenza. Simple checklists and easy-to-follow emergency preparedness instruction sheets will be available at each location, with experts on hand to provide additional information.
Los Gatos Prepared locations on Oct. 14 are:
- Los Gatos Ace Hardware, 15300 Los Gatos Blvd. (at Gateway)
- Lunardi’s Supermarket, 720 Blossom Hill Rd. (at Los Gatos Boulevard)
- Safeway, 1500 Pollard Rd. (at More Avenue)
- Safeway, 15549 Union Ave. (at Los Gatos-Almaden Road)
- Safeway, 470 No. Santa Cruz Ave. (at Andrews Avenue.)
- Los Gatos Farmers' Market, South Santa Cruz Avenue at Broadway
Details: www.losgatosprepared.org, or Los Gatos-Monte Sereno police Sgt. Kerry Harris at 408-354-6843.