1. in Los Gatos is inviting the public to enter its "Most Haunted House Contest." Send photos and/or videos of your house in all its Halloween spooky glory to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries are due Friday, Nov. 4. The best house wins a $50 gift certificate to Affordable Treasures. Details: 408-356-3101.
2. Operation Care and Comfort is holding its annual "Trick or Treat for the Troops" candy drive through Nov. 14. The organization has collection bins set up at Daves Avenue, Van Meter and Lexington elementary schools and at Raymond J. Fisher Middle School, Los Gatos High School and the Los Gatos Public Library. Your leftover candy will be shipped during the holiday season to military personnel serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. Please, no "body parts" or "eyeball" candy. Details: Lu Ann Flechsig, 408-206-3931.
3. The Summer Youth Volunteer Club of West Valley Community Services is presenting its first annual 5K Charity Fun Run/Walk Saturday, Nov. 5, at the Los Gatos Creek County Park. Bring your family and friends as the nonprofit agency raises money for hunger and homeless services. Race-day registration begins at 7:30 a.m. with event officially starting at 9 a.m. Tickets purchased in advance are $15 adults and $10 children under 12 and $20 and 15, respectively, on race-day. Details: Ken Saxton, or email@example.com.
4. The Museums of Los Gatos Historic Homes Tour takes place 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 5-6. Five charming older houses are on tour that have been remodeled by local architect Gary Schloh. Tour tickets are $40 and proceeds benefit the nonprofit Museums of Los Gatos (arts and history) organization. Details: 408-395-7386.
5. Mark your calendar for the Los Gatos Community Foundation's seventh annual CATillion Gala 6-11 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5, at, 14595 Clearview Drive. This event has raised more than $200,000 in the past six years to provide funds for the nonprofit organization's grant and scholarships programs. Tickets are $150. The Sparkletones band will be performing. If you are interested in becoming a CATillion Sponsor please contact Sharon Childs, LGCF executive director, at 408-399-3131, or firstname.lastname@example.org.