1. The rabbit and the turtle: Aesop
Retells 11 of Aesop's fables, including "The Lion and the Mouse," "The Fox and the Crane," and "The Grasshopper and the Ants."
2. How Chipmunk got his stripes: Joseph Bruchac
When Bear and Brown Squirrel have a disagreement about whether Bear can stop the sun from rising, Brown Squirrel ends up with claw marks on his back and becomes Chipmunk, the striped one.
3. Stone soup, Heather Forest
Two hungry travelers use a stone as a soup starter and demonstrate the benefits of sharing. Includes a recipe for soup.
4. The Snow Queen, H.C. Andersen
After the Snow Queen abducts her friend Kai, Gerda sets out on a perilous journey to find him.
5. Goldilocks, Ruth Sanderson
After finding the bears' cottage in the woods and making a mess inside, Goldilocks helps the family clean up and enjoys a nice meal.
6. Martina, the beautiful cockroach: Carmen Agra Deedy
In this humorous retelling of a Cuban folktale, a cockroach interviews her suitors in order to decide whom to marry.
7. The story of King Arthur and his knights, Howard Pyle
From the sword in the stone and the founding of Camelot to the famed Round Table and the Lake of Enchantment, the legend of King Arthur will never lose its magic. Though simpler, this version includes all the wonderful stories—such as King Arthur’s winning of Guenievere and Merlin’s tragic downfall at the hands of the evil Vivien. (Amazon)
8. The faerie's gift, Tanya Robyn Batt
One day, a woodcutter saves the life of a faerie from an attacking hawk, and in return, is granted one wish. It seems like a wonderful gift, but when he listens to the needs of each member of his family, the gift soon becomes a burden. With thought, the woodcutter figures out what the best wish will be.
9. The princess and the pizza, Mary Jane Auch
An out-of-work princess applies to become the bride of Prince Drupert, but first he must pass several tests, including a cooking contest.
10. Aesop's fables/Aesop, Michael Hague, illustrator
The noted illustrator presents 13 of Aesop's most familiar fables.