School: junior at Lynbrook High School
- Plays trumpet in Marching Band, third year
- Senior Patrol Leader in Boy Scout Troop 566, where he mentors younger scouts and leads at troop meetings and camping trips
- Eagle Scout candidate having recently completed Eagle Project storage shed/command post for Los Gatos Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT
- Led team of 27 volunteers, over several work days for a total of 578 hours
- Received commendation from the Town of Los Gatos
Key to Awesomeness:
Austin's personal integrity to the scouting ideals shows in his actions, and he's a friend you can depend on, said proud mom Joan Holland.
"He believes in acceptance and loyalty among his friends and peers," wrote mom in an email interview. "While being a diligent worker and dynamic leader, he is never remiss on finding opportunities for fun."
Case in point: this summer Austin completed a key step in his Eagle Scout candidacy—the Eagle Project—and made it a rewarding experience for all involved, according to mom.
He designed and planned a custom storage shed/command post for Los Gatos CERT. Once approved, he then led a team of 27 volunteers, over a period of six days, in constructing the shed literally from the ground up, she explained.
The Town of Los Gatos commended his efforts with an award ceremony, attended by government officials, CERT volunteers, St. Mary's School representatives, scouts, friends, and family, she added.
When he's not leading scout activities or performing with Marching Band, he likes to ski, bike, swim and scuba dive.