Vladic Grabot, Age 14
- Learned the English language in six months
- Learned to read, even with having a reading disability
- Learned to play sports like baseball and soccer with a vision disability
- Qualified for nationals in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Bible Bee
- Semifinalist in the 2011 National Bible Bee
- Climbed eight states' highpoints
Key to Awesomeness: "All the time, people ask, what is the secret?" wrote Vladic in an email interview. "To me there is no secret and no easy way out. To accomplish what I have accomplished, I have needed to persevere. I have gone through times when I felt like giving up, but I needed to press through. I have a vision disability, yet I play sports like baseball and soccer, playing positions like catcher and goalkeeper. I've participated in the Bible Bee since 2009, and it's been a hard journey. But God has helped me to persevere, to press on until the end."
Proud mom Sherrie Grabot said Vladic was adopted at age 6 from Russia and praised her son for his mastery of the English language and reading, calling it a "huge accomplishment" given his vision disability.