Sarah Pereyra, Age 15
School: Sophomore at Westmont High School
- A second-year starter and captain of the Westmont JV Field Hockey Team
- Competed at the National Futures Field Hockey Championship for two out of the past three years and earned a silver medal in 2010
- Currently playing for her field hockey club team Stanford Lightning
- In the process of starting her second year as a goalie on the Westmont Soccer Team
- Enjoys playing lacrosse with her club team the San Jose Vipers
- Has maintained Honor Roll status through junior high and high school years
Key to Awesomeness:
According to proud father Frank Pereyra, Sarah found a love for field hockey when she was a sixth-grader at Rolling Hills Middle School, scoring two goals her first match and she has never looked back.
Playing for school, club, and Futures (a program to identify future Olympic athletes) field hockey has become a year round sport for Sarah, he said.
Sarah's desire and passion for all of her sports and still maintaining her grades at a high level shows great dedication that her parents admire, he added.
This doesn't leave much extra time for other activities, but when she can find some spare time, Sarah enjoys hanging out with friends, talking care of family pets Daisy the dog, three chickens (Ginger, Jackie and Penny), and baby sitting to pay for her manicures and pedicures.
"Nails" is her nickname on her lacrosse team, dad said, adding that Sarah has set a personal goal to play field hockey in college. "With her dedication and great work ethics in a few years you could be reading about Nails tearing it up on a college field hockey pitch," dad noted.