Jacqueline Gu, Age 16
School: senior at Saratoga High School
- Biochemistry research intern at Stanford University
- Editor-in-chief of the Saratoga Falcon newspaper
- Intern at Stanford Daily newspaper
- President of SHS Science Club
- Editor-in-chief of Soundings, school's literary magazine
- Published fiction and poetry in several national literary magazines
- 2011: Letters About Literature essay contest, honorable mention
- 2011: Synopsys Science and Technology Championship, second place in biochemistry/microbiology category
- 2012: Wellesley Book Award
- 2012: National Merit semifinalist
- 2012: AP Scholar with Distinction
Key to Awesomeness:
"I don't really have one. I wouldn't exactly say I'm awesome to begin with," says Jacqueline, modestly, adding that she follows the late Apple co-founder, chairman, and CEO Steve Jobs' advice: "Stay hungry; stay foolish."
"It has served me pretty well throughout the duration of high school, at least," she said.