Jessica Chiu, Age 17
School: senior at Los Gatos High School
- Second Place in the physics category of the Synopsys Championships science fair the preceding year for her research project on the photogrammetry comparison of trajectory between insects and birds
- Distinguished presenter at the Tsinghua University and Stanford University International youth conference
- Volunteer intern and concept artist at TianZi Biodiversity Research & Development Center in Xishuangbanna, China summers of 2011 and 2012
- Excels academically; she is an AP/Honors student who skipped a grade in both math and Japanese
- Varsity cross-country athlete
- Excels at art and graphic design
- President of the Hepatitis B Awareness Club at LGHS which she founded after attending a leadership conference hosted by the Asian Liver Foundation at Stanford University.
- Tutors freshmen who are failing at least one of their subjects (LGHS Freshman Support).
- Volunteer at the Legion of Honor at San Francisco.
Key to Awesomeness: "I just want her to know that she is a remarkably talented young lady who has such a bright future to look forward to!" said cousin Crystal Qiu, who nominated Jessica for this mini-profile honor on Los Gatos Patch.
"As a person, I know Jessica as a sweet, sensitive, loving person—a true intellectual. She is an empathetic listener, incredibly insightful, and very philosophical."