Yuki Koide, Age 16
School: incoming senior at
- Selected to participate in this summer's UC Davis Young Scholars Program. Will be conducting original laboratory research in biomedical technology/biochemistry/molecular biology at the science research labs at UC Davis.
- Academics: Scholar of Distinction Award for Honor Level grade point average at LGHS. Excellent scores at SATs (high 700s) and AP Exams (5s). National Merit honors.
- Black Belt Martial Arts: Promoted to second-degree black belt in taekwondo karate. Specialist at Broad Sword. Competing at regional martial arts championships this summer.
- Marching Band section leader: Trumpet captain on Leadership Team of LGHS Marching Band. First chair in Symphonic Band.
- Miller Cup Award for first place in Public Speaking Competition at LGHS.
- Awards and Honors for achievements in Mathematics, French Language, Speech and Debate Team, Trumpet Solo performance.
- Director of student-run tutoring service. Tutor in math, science, French language.
- Last summer was selected to participate in Stanford University's Summer Institute in Engineering (Education Program for Gifted Youth, EPGY).
Key to Awesomeness:
Yuki has great enthusiasm for many things at once and approaches everything with great diligence as well as a sense of humor, according to proud parents Eric Koide and Ling Chen.
Yuki undertakes all of her academic subjects, from math and science to history and language, with an equal and high level of enthusiasm for learning, parents said in an email interview.
"Her genuine interest in all areas results in a high level of achievement in all areas. This carries over into her personal interests and pursuits," they wrote.