Maya Sweedler, Age 16
School: incoming junior at
- Yearbook editor at LGHS
- Former staff member and editor-in-chief at
- Captain of Los Gatos Mock Trial team
- Straight A student
- Principal Scholar, National Mythology Scholar, and two-time recipient of World Language Department Award
- Involved in LGHS peer-to-peer education (Freshman Skills Day leader and Link Crew leader)
- Assistant coach of a middle school First Lego League (FLL) robotics team after participating on an FLL team that advanced to the state tournament in all of its four years of eligibility
- Member of LGHS Diving Team
- Volunteer at Los Gatos Library
Key to awesomeness:
In Maya's own words: "Although I sometimes get caught up in the day-to-day activities that are listed above, to me, the most important thing is that I love what I do."
Maya said this is reflected in her slightly eclectic hobbies, which vary from robotics to writing to mock trial.
"I wouldn't describe myself as awesome, far from it, actually. Rather, I would say that I have an awesome life, one that allows me to explore and test my strengths as well as give back to the community that I have lived in for almost 15 years. I'm very grateful to be in Los Gatos with my fantastic family and have the ability to take advantage of the truly awesome opportunities I have been offered."