Kameron Duncan, age 10
School: fifth-grader at St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, in Saratoga
- Straight-A student
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth Search participant with high honors in math and verbal reasoning
- Kangaroo Math Competition 2011 one of top 25 in California
- Member of Vivace Youth Chorus for six years
- Member of St. Andrew’s Lower School Choir for three years
- Top score of 5 at California Association of Professional Music Teachers [CAPMT] auditions, November 2010 and 2011
- Selected to play a piano duet at CAPMT Branch Honors Recital 2011
- Selected to play a piano solo at CAPMT State Conference 2012
- Piano accompanist for school performances and will be for upcoming Vivace Youth Chorus Prep Choir concert
- Cast in four school musicals: Hood, La Mer, Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, and Coyote Steals Summer
- Member of Opera San Jose casts in four operas (2007-2011): Werther, Carmen, Anna Karenina, and Tosca
- Member of Swim South Bay Swim Team
- Runs 5K races
- St. Andrew’s Student Council representative
- Community service to clean up Coyote Point
- Parents are Ron Duncan and Kyla Thomas Duncan; older brother Kenyon is a sophomore at Bellarmine College Prep.
Kameron likes spending time at home, bonding with his family, said proud mom Kyla Thomas Duncan. On the weekends, you may find him creating in the kitchen, she added.
"Running with his dad is always a treat. He enjoys his involvement with the children’s church program at his church. He loves to play the piano, especially when he’s experiencing a new piece of music for the first time. He really likes classical music and learning about his favorite composers. He’s also fascinated with numbers. Kameron is a skilled narrator and presenter who likes giving oral presentations," mom noted in an email interview.
Key to Awesomeness: "Kameron is always curious and eager to learn new things. He is a hard-working student. His inquisitive and thoughtful nature makes him a wonderful person to engage in interesting conversations. He has strong observation skills and a natural knack for problem solving. Kameron is a kind and loyal friend, who is easy to get along with," mom said.