The Nov. 6 general election is less than four months away. Municipal, county and state candidates are already working hard on their campaigns to reach voters, and explain their political agendas. Los Gatos Patch will follow all the important races right up to election day, and after. The candidate filing period opened July 16 and runs through Aug. 10. Nomination forms can be picked up at Los Gatos and Monte Sereno town halls, at school district offices and at the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters Office.
In Los Gatos and Monte Sereno, voters will be electing representatives for the following groups:
- Los Gatos Town Council:
- Monte Sereno City Council:
- Trustees Doug Halbert and Chris Miller's four-year terms are ending. They were voted into office in 2008. Halbert and Miller said they haven't decided whether they'll seek another term.
- Trustees Rosemary Rossi and Lorrie Wernick's terms expire in 2012. They were elected in November 2008, and it's not known at this time whether they'll seek re-election.
- Trustees Paula Lacey and Rachelle Lopp are up for re-election. Lacey serves as president of the district's school board.
- The seats of trustees Steve Cox and Theresa Bond's are up for re-election this fall.
- West Valley/Mission Community College District: Trustees up for election this fall are Chris Stampolis, Board President Robert Owens and Trustee Adrienne Grey and Nick Heimlich. Heimlich was appointed to fill a vacant seat so he had to run for the second half of that term, which expires this year. He is up for his first four-year term. Trustees have also remapped their areas, and Owens and Stampolis are in the same area. The entire board, however, has endorsed Owens.
Editor's Note: We'll continue to revise this story as we learn of more local races of interest this fall, and as more candidates file to run for election on Nov. 6, 2012.