Plans to build a in town are starting to come into focus with a third public meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Monday at and the announcement last Tuesday that recreation officials will seek funding to build a pedestrian and bicycle bridge to connect the facility to the
Monday's meeting, at 19195 Fisher Ave., will give attendees a chance to review and comment on several designs based on input received during public meetings last Nov. 9 and Dec. 13. The public will also discuss the park’s guiding principles adopted by Town Council in June 2010. Input received during the meeting will be used to finalize the park's master plan.
The $3 million, 2.7-acre park will be built at 930 University Ave., north of and next to the Los Gatos Creek.
On Tuesday evening, the council agreed to allow Todd Capurso, Los Gatos parks and public works director, to apply for a Santa Clara Valley Water District Clean, Safe Creeks and Natural Flood Protection program grant.
Capurso explained that three bridge alignments and locations are being studied, so the exact amount of the bridge's construction is unknown. However, he estimated the work could cost about $400,000.
He also noted the bridge's length hasn't been determined, because of the different areas being considered for its position. One alignment would place the bridge approximately 400 feet downstream of the Vasona dam, in line with the proposed parking area. Another would position it down the face of the dam and crossing the dam's back-end concrete spillway location; the other would put it across the top of the dam.
Capurso said he hopes the water district grant will cover up to 75 percent of the bridge's cost and that the town will only have to pitch in the remaining 25 percent. The town has to apply for the money by March 15 and will be notified if the money will be available by July. Construction for the project could start in August.
The bridge is expected to greatly increase community recreational opportunities along the creek trail and link a county park, town parks and public parking. The bridge will also allow for and encourage different modes of transportation, such as walking and biking to the new sports park and surrounding businesses, the report said.
This will reduce the amount of traffic on University Avenue as well as the need for on-site parking, the report added.
The program is funded through a parcel tax and supports projects that help communities meet their open space and recreational goals, according to a staff report.
"While the installation of such a bridge would provide a benefit to users of the sports park, it could also provide the additional benefit of providing all users of the creek trail access to University Avenue," the report said.
Capurso said there are two tentative park designs. One contains a large multipurpose field, a parking area and a restroom/concession building. The other contains a smaller multipurpose field, a parking area, a restroom/concession building and a hardscape area, which could include a skate park and basketball or tennis courts, Capurso said.