1. Simon's hook: a story about teases and put-downs, Karen Gedig BurnettSimon is having a bad day; a bad hair day. First his sister gives him a strange hair cut, then his friends tease him. Simon doesn't know what to do. Lucky for him he runs into Grandma Rose. After listening to his sorrowful story she helps him learn an important life lesson. (amazon)
2. Dad's expecting too! Expectant fathers, expectant mothers, new dads, and new moms share advice, tips, and stories about all the surprises, questions, and joys ahead... Harlan CohenDad's Expecting Too! is a witty and wise guide to everything you and your partner need to know about having a baby--from the moment you discover she's pregnant to the first night home with your newborn. (amazon)
3. Bringing up bebe: one American mother discovers the wisdom of French parenting, Pamela Druckerman, Pamela
When American journalist Pamela Druckerman has a baby in Paris, she doesn't aspire to become a "French parent." French parenting isn't a known thing, like French fashion or French cheese. Even French parents themselves insist they aren't doing anything special. Yet, the French children Druckerman knows sleep through the night at two or three months old while those of her American friends take a year or more.
No two children experience the toilet-training process in exactly the same way. While some kids might be afraid to even go near the bathroom, others may master the actual act right away. "Stress-Free Potty Training" takes the anxiety out of this challenging rite of passage.
5. Free-range kids: how to raise safe, self-reliant children (without going nuts with worry), Lenore SkenazyLenore Skenazy called down a firestorm of controversy when she wrote a newspaper column about letting her nine-year-old ride alone on the New York City subway. In this plainspoken take on modern parenting, Skenazy offers a commonsense approach to letting kids be kids.
6. Meditation for moms: how to relax your body, refresh your mind, and revitalize your spirit in minutes a day, Kim Dwyer
You're the busiest person in the house--but you can still find your balance and renew your sense of self! With this book, you can work mindfulness into your routine whether you're at home or on the go--one stolen moment at a time. Hour-by-precious-hour, you'll turn stressful scenes into unlikely retreats and breaks.
7. Raising freethinkers: a practical guide for parenting beyond beliefPraised by "Newsweek" as "a compelling read" and " Library Journal "as "accessible and down-to-earth," Dale McGowan's " Parenting Beyond Belief" offered freethinking parents everywhere a compassionate introduction to raising caring, ethical children without religious guidance.
Offers timely information about teaching and parenting gifted and talented children.
Let Frommer's show you where your kids can: visit the sea lions, the city's most famous residents; test their pitching arms; learn what life was like on "The Rock" and more.
California is the most visited state in the United States, Disneyland is the United States' second most visited theme park, and California's national parks attract almost 30 million visitors a year.