1. The Addison Penzak presents the musical odyssey "To be an American:” How Irving Berlin assimilated Jewishness and Blackness in his early songs at 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 27 at its Los Gatos campus, 14855 Oka Rd. Lecturer Kimberly Gelbwasser will participate. Tickets are $5 for members and $7 for non-members. Details: Lisa, 408-357-7492, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Are you at risk for breast cancer? presents a lunch-and-learn workshop at 12:30 p.m. today, Thursday, Oct. 27, in meeting rooms 2 and 3, 815 Pollard Rd. The event will help the public learn about the latest advancements in breast-cancer detection. Dr. Jessie Jacob was recently featured on the hospital's Nurse Barb Daily Dose Oct. 12 episode broadcast on KPIX Channel 5. Please bring a lunch or you may purchase a meal at the El Gato Cafe on the Los Gatos campus. Drinks and a small healthy snack will be provided. No registration required.
3. will be offering a scary good barbecue at its center, 4 New York Ave., 4-6 p.m., Monday, Oct. 31. The goodies will include free burgers, Halloween games, Xbox death match, dance music and more. Bring your student ID for the free food and fun. Friends and family welcome. Drinks are $1. Details: aplaceforteens.org.
4. Mark your calendar for the Los Gatos Community Foundation's seventh annual CATillion Gala 6-11 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5, at, 14595 Clearview Drive. This event has raised more than $200,000 in the past six years to provide funds for the nonprofit organization's grant and scholarships programs. Tickets are $150. The Sparkletones band will be performing. If you are interested in becoming a CATillion Sponsor please contact Sharon Childs, LGCF executive director, at 408-399-3131, or email@example.com.
5. invites the public to nominate someone from the community for the honor of "Grand Marshal" to preside over the Dec. 3 Los Gatos Children's Christmas and Holidays Parade. To submit a nomination, download a form by clicking here. Completed forms may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Los Gatos Parade Committee, attention Michelle Varno, 123 E. Main St., Los Gatos, CA 95030. Deadline for submitting nomination forms is 4 p.m., Nov. 1. Details: Michelle Varno, 408-354-8700 ext. 226.