And her answer, posted on her blog about the project, is that the holiday target date dreamed about earlier this year "was simply too aggressive."
But the team working hard to deliver a state-of-the-art cinema, 41 No. Santa Cruz Ave., is confident it will be ready to open in the spring of 2014, she said.
The theater's exterior retains the original art deco façade but now includes parapets, vertical towers, stepped piers and eyebrows that embellish the structures prominence from the sidewalk, she writes on her blog.
The project's architect is Gary Kohlsaat, who believes that historic buildings should be more than isolated structures, she added.
The theater is owned by Three Sisters, LLC. and closed in September of 2012 for the improvements.
"His team managed to strengthen connections to the streetscape with a balcony and a large welcoming lobby. This connection is enhanced with a large number of panoramic doors and windows that reflect the surrounding neighborhood."
Goetz highlighted some of the major changes due to the upgrades:
With the project now near completion, we want to highlight some of the changes:
- The theater is being equipped with a state-of-the-art film, digital sound and digital video projection systems, carefully designed sight lines and comfortable seating (Barco DP4K & Dolby 3D digital cinema).
- The semi-private screening facility on the second floor is designed to provide the ideal environment for local artists to screen their films, or hold special events (Barco DP4K & JBL Cinema surround).
- Florian pointed out that the space and new projection equipment is ideal for conferences, lectures and presentations (plug-n-play USB, HDMI, and Apple Airplay).
- Note the upper and lower lobby areas are large enough for pre and post-event receptions and the new elevator makes the upper level accessible to everyone.
ALSO ON LOS GATOS PATCH:
- Los Gatos Theater's Makeover Mixes Art Deco with High Tech
- Los Gatos Cinema Gutted
- Town Investor Buys Los Gatos Cinema
- Los Gatos Theater Closes For Upgrades
- Los Gatos Wants Theater to Remain
- Los Gatos Theater Renovations on Planners' Agenda Tonight
- Letter to the Editor: Los Gatos Theater Needs to Provide More Parking
Sign up for the free Los Gatos Patch newsletter | Like Los Gatos Patch on Facebook | Follow @GatosPatch on Twitter | Blog on Los Gatos Patch | Follow Los Gatos Patch on Instagram