They say children can sometimes teach adults a few things.
That adage came true Sunday, when 10-year-old Joshua Singer, wearing bib No. 1224, crossed the finish line of the in a little over 27 minutes.
His pace: 6 minutes and 48 seconds per mile.
Pretty impressive in the field of boys running in the 2-13 age division. He was No. 2 among more than 80 kids in that category.
There were also more than 50 girls running in the 2-13 age division. The top finisher in this category was Caitlin Palacios, who crossed the finish line in 27:52.
33rd annual 4-miler, from Saratoga to Los Gatos, was a positive event for children and adults alike.
It was also an adrenaline shot for fast runners who craved the short distance to break their personal records.
The top finishers in the boys 2-13 age division were:
1. Aziz Gahadiali, 12, who finished the race in 26:36.
2. Joshua Singer, 10, who finished in 27:11.
3. Byron Shahin, 13, of San Jose, who finished the race in 28:39.
The top finishers in the girls 2-13 age division were:
1. Caitlin Palacios, 13, who finished the race in 27:52.
2. Nicole Young, of San Jose, 12, who finished the race in 31:24.
3. Hannah Nelson, of San Jose, 13, who finished the race in 31:30.