The old wooden Main Street Bridge, built in 1882, was replaced by a stone and concrete version, which was completed in 1906 at an estimated cost of $27,000.
The names of the town trustees, engineer and builder responsible for its construction were recognized on this plaque.
A gala celebration to open the new bridge was scheduled to take place on May 1, 1906.
Unfortunately the San Francisco earthquake struck on April 18, 1906 and the festivities had to be cancelled.
The bridge survived unscathed and was officially opened with a much smaller ceremony some time later.
Lena Barbieri Conley Collection