1. There will be decreased parking in and around the Civic Center Monday, Sept. 12 through Friday, Sept. 30. During this time, the main lot at the Civic Center and the lot at the Adult Recreation Center, 208 E. Main St., will not be accessible by car. Additionally, Fiesta will be closed at Main Street. These closures will allow for the paving and related hardscape work as detailed in the new library construction plans to occur in a relatively short period. Details: Recreation Supervisor Stephanie Douglas, 408-207-4916.
2. presents a lecture titled, "How We Age: A Doctor’s Journey into the Heart of Growing Old," 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 15, 14855 Oka Rd. Dr. Marc Agronin will speak of life at the nursing home at which he is a doctor, a place that some would dismiss as “God’s waiting room.” But as Agronin first learned from 98-year-old Esther and, later, from countless others, the true scales of aging aren’t one-sided—you can’t list the problems without also tallying the hopes and promises. Agronin is a graduate of Harvard University and Yale Medical School, is the psychiatrist at the Miami Jewish Health Systems. Details: Jenessa Schwartz, 408-357-7411, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The Creek Connections Action Group is looking for volunteers for its state Coastal Cleanup Day Saturday, Sept. 17, 10 a.m.-noon. Santa Clara County volunteers are expected to fan out to 42 creek sites to clean up trash along Santa Clara County waterways. Would-be volunteers can find a map of local cleanup sites at www.cleanacreek.org. Locally, volunteers will work picking up garbage in Los Gatos Creek at Vasona Park, from Roberts Road to Lark Avenue. Pre-registration is required at most sites. Register here at Eventbrite. Details: Dave Lane at email@example.com.
4. Festival Theatre Ensemble, the producers of the presents Broadcast: Murder, a mystery play in four acts, 6:30-10 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 17, at the Toll House Hotel, 140 So. Santa Cruz Ave. The performance is a fundraiser for the 2012 season of the Los Gatos Shakespeare Festival, an annual event held for the past 10 years at Los Gatos' Oak Meadow Park. Tickets are $125 per person or $900 for a table of eight and can be purchased online at www.lgshakes.org or by calling 408-996-0635 or 800-838-3006.
5. The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Foundation's fundraiser, "A Taste of Los Gatos" will be held 3-6 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 18 at the McCarthy Family Estate Vineyard, 20108 Foster Rd. Join the foundation with a donation of $500 and receive two tickets to the year. If you do not want to join the foundation but would like to attend, tickets are $150 each. Pay online by clicking here or send your check or money order (do not send cash) along with the number of tickets you would like to purchase, your name, address, phone number and email address to: The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Foundation, P.O. Box 973, Los Gatos, CA 9503. Tickets are limited. All proceeds directly support the Details: 408 354-6840 or 408-827-8655.